Intensive outpatient program, also known as IOP, is a type of drug and alcohol addiction treatment program you can receive at a rehab. It is designed to help people struggling with addiction work through treatment therapies to achieve long-term recovery. For many people, this is one of the most important types of treatment available because of how effective it can be at restoring health and wellbeing while living at home instead of in a treatment center. There is quite a bit to know about this program and how it works to determine if it is the best choice for you.
At America’s Rehab Campuses, we offer a range of therapy programs to help you. Some people may benefit from IOP, while others need more extensive care. Our treatment center can meet most needs no matter what level of care you may need. We encourage you to reach out to us to discuss your specific needs.
What Is IOP?
IOP is a specific type of treatment program. While much of the same therapies are provided within it compared to other types of treatment, including residential treatment, the format is a bit different. With IOP, a person is able to live at home and receive support from their family while receiving treatment. Most often, individuals will receive therapy several times a week for several hours a day. The specific number of days and hours is dependent on a person’s specific needs.
Is IOP Right for You?
For some people, this type of treatment is not a first step. Often, a person with a moderate to severe addiction will first spend time in drug detox programs. This allows the body and brain to re-learn how to function without the presence of substances. From there, they enter into residential treatment. This is a long-term program that can last several weeks to several months. During it, a person receives access to physical and mental health needs as well as a variety of therapy options.
From there, a person may enter into IOP. This allows them to move back home to begin rebuilding their life but still have access to the level of care they need to maintain their health and wellbeing.
Other people will find that IOP is the right first step. Sometimes it is coupled with medication assisted treatment, which can help to improve a person’s ability to avoid relapse. This may enable you to start intensive therapy while living at home.
What Can You Expect with IOP?
IOP provides you with the tools you need to overcome addiction. There are various types of therapy that may be a part of it, depending on your specific needs. Some of those include:
- Medication Assisted Treatment: Medications may be helpful for some people. They allow you to not feel cravings and withdrawal symptoms. They trick the brain into believing the substance is present while also teaching it not to seek out those substances again.
- Mental Health Disorder Treatment: Many people with addiction have mental health disorders as well. This could include anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, and others. During IOP, you may receive help for these needs, including treatment through medications and talk therapy.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: This type of treatment is a form of talk therapy where you will work with your therapist to change the way you think about stress and bad situations. With the help of CBT, it is possible for you to learn how to avoid negative situations that often lead to the onset of use.
- Holistic Treatment: You will also have access to holistic treatment that may help you fully restore your mind, body, and spirit. It encourages your body to heal while providing you with resources to overcome the challenges of your life.
- Family Therapy: IOP can include treatment that involves your family. If you need to learn how to work through the complications of daily life with your family and work to recover relationships, this is the type of therapy that is best suited for you.
Finding the Level of Care You Need
How do you know if IOP is the right type of rehab for your situation? It is not always easy to know this. The first step for many people is to have an assessment that determines what your underlying needs may be based on the severity of your addiction, your health, and how long you’ve used.
At America’s Rehab Campuses, we will work closely with you to ensure that you receive the best level of care possible. We encourage you to reach out to us today to learn more about therapy options. We are happy to work closely with you to best understand your needs. If you are using drugs and alcohol, now is the time to make a change. America’s Rehab Campus also accepts many insurance plans including Aetna and many more. Let our team help you to do just that.