It’s important to understand the health risks involved with excessive drinking. Even though alcohol is legal in the United States, it’s still a dangerous drug. If you or someone you love needs help overcoming an alcohol use disorder, it’s important to choose the right provider for alcohol addiction recovery in California. For example, America’s Rehab Campuses offers comprehensive treatment tailored to your specific needs.
The Effects of Alcohol Use Disorder
California has the highest number of alcohol-related deaths in the nation. Approximately 11,000 annual deaths involve alcohol. More than 70% of those are men, and the average alcohol death robs the victim of nearly 28 years of life.
To make your moments, days, and years count, it’s important to recognize when you have alcohol use disorder. There’s no shame or judgment when you seek alcohol addiction recovery in California. Instead, you can literally add years to your life by making the brave decision to enter a detox and recovery program dedicated to your needs.
Impact of Alcohol on Your Health
Excessive drinking has numerous physical, mental and social consequences. Below, we list some of the most prevalent health threats caused by alcohol use disorders:
- Liver disease. Alcohol abuse can result in inflammation of the liver (alcoholic hepatitis), increased fat content in the liver (hepatic steatosis), and irreversible scarring (cirrhosis).
- Digestive problems. Heavy drinking inflames the stomach lining (gastritis) and causes ulcers in the esophagus and stomach. It can also affect your ability to absorb B vitamins and other essential nutrients.
- Heart problems. Excessive drinking can lead to numerous heart problems, including high blood pressure, heart failure, stroke, or an enlarged heart. Did you know that a single night of binge drinking can lead to heart arrhythmia?
- Diabetes complications. Alcohol makes it harder for your liver to release glucose and it can lead to low blood sugar. This creates a life-threatening situation for those with diabetes.
- Sexual function and menstrual cycle. Excessive drinking can lead to promiscuous behavior that may lead to sexually transmitted diseases, It can also cause erectile dysfunction for men and interfere with menstruation in women.
- Eye problems. Lack of B-1 (thiamine) caused by alcohol use disorder can cause paralysis or weakness of the eye muscles that affect your vision.
- Weakened immune system. Excessive alcohol use can also suppress your immune system, leaving you more vulnerable to pneumonia and other illnesses.
- Increased risk of cancer. Long-term alcohol abuse has a strong correlation with mouth, liver, esophageal, breast, and other types of cancer.
Alcohol Addiction Recovery in California helps limit further deterioration and may help prevent the conditions above from ever developing. Proper nutrition, exercise, and a positive frame of mind can also help your body begin to heal and grow stronger.
Alcohol Abuse and Relapse Prevention
There are certain signs that you can look for to determine whether you’re teen or other loved one needs help. If you notice any of the following issues, have a talk with your loved one about alcohol addiction recovery in California:
- Loss of interest in hobbies and previous pastimes
- Red eyes, memory lapse, and coordination issues
- Difficulties maintaining friendships
- Declining performance at work or school
- Frequent mood changes
- Overly defensive when asked about alcohol use
Early intervention greatly improves your loved one’s chances of continued abstinence and recovery.
Alcohol Addiction Recovery in California
At America’s Rehab Campuses, we recognize the importance of understanding the consequences of alcohol abuse. However, once you come to us for help, you have access to a luxurious facility that includes a fitness center, nutritious meals, individual and group therapy, and recreational therapy to help you develop new interests.
Alcohol addiction recovery in California involves a concentrated program focusing on alcohol addiction. If you have a co-occurring addiction to drugs or need assistance with mental health disorders, it’s important to address them simultaneously.
Contact America’s Rehab Campuses to speak with one of our admissions staff members about the fastest way to take advantage of our inpatient or outpatient treatment for alcohol addiction recovery in California.